Search This Blog

Friday, October 22, 2010

Unbalanced it is!

well, i've written in the past about my various falling over's and just plain laziness of gravity keeping me upright. I went to the ear doctor and my ears are fine. So I was scheduled for a balance test to make sure the stuff inside my brain that keep me balanced are working. FUN!!!

Yesterday, I set off for my 11:30 appt. at 11. The test is at the same place where the ear doctor is, so I was just there like 3 weeks ago. I hopped on the interstate confident that I know where I am going. I am WRONG!!!
I have no clue where I am going. Nothing looks familiar. I take the first exit and while I am starting to panic I see the name of the street that I want on another exit, so I am relieved and I take that exit.

I exit on that exit and I am not on that street. I have no idea if I go left or right. So I go right. It looks really WRONG. So after a few minutes I turn around and go back the other way. I call my kid on the cell phone and have her get on map quest to find out where I am. I finally get to the road and take a left. And I pass a building I remember from the first trip!!!! Yipee!!!! I arrive 3 minutes before my appointment!

The test is odd. It involves flashing lights, no blinking, having my head shaken back and forth, sitting up and down really fast, wearing some goggles that make me feel like batman. Then the last part is getting cold then warm air blown into my ears, first the left then the right.

My left ear with both cold then warm air sends the room spinning like crazy!!! My right ear, nothing, not even a little bit of swaying. So the audiologist does my right ear a 2nd time. The 2nd time I get a bit woozy. Nothing like what happens when the left ear has the air blown in it. I found the warm air to be soothing and almost fall asleep, I likes it!!!!

So the audiologist tells me there's approx. a 20% difference between the left side balance system and the right side balance system. I ask her what that means and she says she has to analysis all the results and the doctor's assistant will call me today or Monday with them and next steps. But she's sure that my balance systems are not insynch, aka, it's official I am unbalanced!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment